This post is going to be very long and talks about a lot of
really ugly feelings related to stress. Suffice it to say, I haven’t really
been coping well, despite any persona I may adopt at school.
I wanted to take a sec to talk about my blog before class is
over. [edit after I have finished writing this: this essay is roughly 1400 words
long and actually has nothing to do with my blog. At all. It gets dark after a
while.]
My blog has been a little impersonal. I’ve been writing about
a lot of general topics and not too much of my own experiences. The topics are
of interest to me (see: bugs, chocolate) but I didn’t exactly open up completely
about my life. There are two posts so far that deal with stories about me (the
first and third posts). The other ones have been either weird publicity stunts
(“some words that are short”) or essays that stick to “here’s some cool
information; I hope you like it”.
Part of the reason is that I haven’t been doing too well
lately. A lot of people write about stress here, and I applaud that they feel
comfortable talking about their experiences with college, grades, lack of sleep,
and all the other stressors in the average Uni lifestyle. In the past few
weeks, sometimes I’d toss around the idea of writing about how I’d been
feeling, but it was hard for me to talk about my emotions.
Up until the end of sophomore
year, Uni had been hard in the sense of “challenging”. Each class was difficult,
yet fun, and it was good to have a community of fellow nerds to talk with. I
liked the work. Tests were hard, but I embraced them rather than dreading them.
I managed to do well in all my classes and I felt happy at school.
The first semester of Junior year hasn’t been like that at all. Part of the problem is that it’s
suddenly become a lot more difficult for me to understand things and get good
grades. Physics is hard, and Calc is really fun, but also hard. In Calc
especially, all the subject matter seems cool but is going by just a little too
quickly for me to really understand. Added to that, there’s the fact that I’m
considering a Math major, and a B or C in Calculus doesn’t really make me look
like some brilliant mathematician that a university is going to want.
Field Bio has been fun, as has Latin (there’s something nice
about the nearly perfectly regular grammar of the language, and it’s mirrored
well in the easy-to-grasp structure of the course). I’ve liked History to a
surprising degree, and Nonfic has had a lot of big assignments that I procrastinate,
but I’ve enjoyed it all the same.
However, the stress of having to prepare for all of my
classes’ deadlines, plus extracurriculars, plus “I’m not doing enough extracurriculars
to get into X school”, plus “I need to do college visits”, plus “I can’t afford
to not get an A in everything AAAAAAAH” has changed the way Uni feels. It no longer
feels “challenging”. It feels like it’s breaking me.
The worst part of this semester so far has been midseason of
swimming. The team is really supportive, the coaches are both amazing, and the
dynamic between all of us has been great. So why was I stressed out? What
caused me to stress so much was a destructive idea that I carried with me
through the season. I want to swim well, and currently I swim… mediocrely? Compared
to non-swimmers and casual swimmers, I’m excellent at swimming. That’s because
I know good technique and I’m reasonably in shape for swimming. But compared to
the average high-school Sectionals swimmer in my event, I’m in the worse half.
I got very frustrated this season because I was in a
plateau. My time hadn’t improved from the middle of last season. It had gotten
slower. Even though I was swimming every day in practice, even though I made
faster times in sets, my time was getting slower.
At the same time, I didn’t feel good after practice any
more. I didn’t feel the happy post-exercise endorphins because I was too busy focusing
on the little tiny failures I had made: I
could have swum that 200 a little faster. I didn’t get the time I wanted in the
50 sprint at the end. Because I felt so much stress, I didn’t feel the
tiredness associated with exercise. I felt tired and sore all the time, but I
didn’t feel like I was working hard. At the same time, the reality of the
workload waiting for me the minute I got home sank in, making me regret the
past and worry about the future. None of this thinking was at all encouraged by
the coaches or teammates. Our coach repeatedly discouraged us from these
thoughts. But I couldn’t let go.
I began to feel emotionless at school. Instead of thinking
and worrying about work, I let the feeling settle to a weight in my gut, along with
all my other emotions. Then I’d get to practice, or home, and they’d all hit me
at once – a day of stresses condensed into an instant. It got to the point where
I couldn’t mentally cope with hard sets at practice, and I’d have to truncate them
or remove the time pressure. It got to the point where I would feel panic and
fear the moment the set was announced. I wasn’t even doing badly. I was just so
afraid of failure in all its forms that I wouldn’t take the risks necessary to fail.
After races I focused too much (and despite my coach telling
me not to) about my time, as opposed to technique. My limbs never felt quite
right in the water and I thought it was some impending sign of doom, like I was
forgetting to ride a bicycle. I think now that it was just stress and worry.
Still, even as Sectionals approached and taper should have been kicking in, it
felt like my limbs were infused with lead.
At Sectionals I set a personal record by 4 seconds. I should
have been very happy – it was the first time I had moved the needle in a year
and a half. But I was oddly hypocritical. I had assumed that my “mindset” was
somehow responsible for all my failures: “I didn’t try hard enough.” “I should have
pushed through the pain more.” “I need to keep a steadier pace instead of
slowing down when I tire.” But in this race, I succeeded. Instead of happiness,
my mind was full of: “That was probably just the fastskin.” “Really, my goal
was to drop ten seconds.” “I didn’t taper well enough to drop ten seconds.” “My
time still wasn’t that great.” These thoughts made it hard to feel satisfied
that I had done well. And because I had such a bad mental experience with swim,
I didn’t miss the season much. What I did feel was relief. That worried me.
After the swim season ended, I got a lot more free time. This
helped my mood a lot. I went from crying at least once a week to only crying
maybe twice a month, a definite improvement! Progress! I can enjoy things more.
The pit in my stomach where my emotions went to die seems to have closed for
the season.
But this is only a temporary Band-Aid. I really enjoyed
swimming from when I learned until two weeks into this season, and I want to
enjoy it again. I’m joining a non-Uni-affiliated team this spring and I want to
focus on being happy, and accepting myself. I put myself under such pressure to
succeed this season that I fell apart. I don’t want that to happen again.
The scariest thing to happen to me this year hasn’t been a
bad meet, or a bad grade (though Calc comes close). It was the Junior/Senior
Health Seminar on Self-Compassion. Specifically, the moment when the ex-Uni XC
runner now struggling with depression described how she felt about running in
her senior year, the times when she felt a sudden panic, like she couldn’t
continue, and a tightness in her chest. And how soon she felt the same tightness even when she wasn't running. And I thought, “this sounds like me.”
It's way late and this post is 34 minutes overdue and I have no idea why I wrote it because now I feel sad and like it's a bit too much information, but it's too late to change the topic. Readers, this is what you're gonna get.
Pomona I had no idea you felt this way. I admire the way you seem to take things as they come with a smile on your face, and handle situations with a clear and intelligent mind. I'm glad you shared these things, because I guarantee there are many other people who suffer from very similar stress and doubts. You probably already knew this, because you're often the other side who offers help and encouragement to these people (like me when I'm limping through calculus class reee). Just know that you don't have to be on that side--you have the support of many people who think very highly of you, and even if you don't talk about these things weighing you down, we will stick with you through it. Just try to keep recognizing how cool and talented you are (I know it's hard to think positively about ourselves sometimes, but I have a growing list of all the great kinda awesome things about you so if you hit a dry spell hit me up).
ReplyDelete"I want to focus on being happy, and accepting myself"––This was my favorite part of this post. I think this is an amazing goal, and I hope you can make it a priority. I'm sorry to hear you had so much stress and struggle last semester. Please remember that you are important and amazing, and you don't (really don't) have to compare yourself to anyone else. It's OK not to be the best swimmer or even in the top half. It's OK to get Bs or Cs. Life is not a competition, and your happiness and peace of mind are so much more important than being at the top of a series of ranked events (school, athletic competition, etc) whose hierarchy is invented and external to you. (Not to say those hierarchies aren't real––but you don't have to make them your priority.) I hope this semester is better for you. Take deep breaths and focus on taking care of yourself and figuring out what's really important to *you*.
ReplyDelete