Skip to main content

some words that are short


First day of the week: the one on which we did not have to go to school.


I like long words, but I am much more fond of small words. I use lots of long words when I talk. So to make a post and use naught but small words is a task that daunts me. I will try to use no words with more than one sound per word in this whole blog post. My post will be nice and short; all the words are short, and each word is hard to come up with. As I start to write this post, I have a few days to work. I thank the stars for my lack of a time crunch at this point in the week, but I will soon find that I have put off all my work for the next few days. By hump day my stress will be a five out of five. For now, I have the time and the sloth to sleep in, take naps, watch a show which I now will call Last Week This Night and not do work. I love the days at the end of the week – they’re the best thing, if you ask me!


Still the same day: I get more stressed out. Cause of stress: test, essay, lots of work, test part two, swim, and all the rest of the stuff I did not put here.


In news that’s not like the stuff that I just wrote, and might show that I’m quite wrong, the test that we all (kids in years two and three of high school) have to take is on hump day! I, for one, have made a Khan School account, set it up, and then not done work on it. My test scores from last year wait for me to look at them. The Khan math tests are quite a bit too hard right now, so I should do some work. But now, as I look at this post and write more of it, it is night, and on the next day my big piece of work for this class will be due. I need to switch to that, but I don’t feel like I want to work on it. And I love to try to tell you my thoughts in this way. It’s hard but I like it. If you find words in this post that have more than one sound piece per word, please put them in the place where you write your thoughts. I will change the blog post so that they are not there.

I do not write for a few days. Then:

Yes – this week is close to gone and it’s worked out just like I thought it would. The post is due on this day. There was a test for Mr. Stone’s class on bugs during hour three. I stayed up real late last night to read my notes and the book, so I am tired as I write this. 

I’m glad I put in the time to read the stuff for this class! That means I don’t have to do it right as break starts, I flunk the last tests of the year, and we turn in our books. I liked the voice of the gal who wrote it as well. It was fun to read. But I did read half of it in third hour once I was done with the test in Stone’s class. One point for rushed work. (Yes, guys, rushed has but one sound part.) This post was as fun to write as that tale was to read!



This blog post was written using only monosyllabic (nice to be able to say that one again) words, to the best of my ability. I did a similar work in Creative Writing last year. I actually messed up and included one instance of the two-syllable word “happy”. Please, if you find some disyllabic words, write that as a comment, and I will try to fix it. Some of the words are in grey areas: real or re-al? There’s a great Yahoo Answers thread about it and another on (for some reason) a pro wrestling forum. These guys are more nerdy than we knew.

Comments

  1. What a cool thought for a post! I love how much time you put into the word choice and the way that some long words sound when you make them in a few short words. I have not been shown in the past how much we lean on long words for things. Neat post for sure. (q: does "mr." count as one word sound or two, I can't tell)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shoot it might be two... because it's "mister". And the stilted quality of the writing is mainly because I'm bad at writing with short words. There is one part of the course packet with a few paragraphs where all the words have one syllable. It sounds nice and elegant and I didn't realize that they were monosyllabic words until the reveal. So I just need to get better at writing with short words.

      Delete
  2. I was getting a bit stressed towards the end, because I hadn't realized how much I liked words with multiple syllables. This was fun to read, though! You were great at being consistent with the format. Also, this post is one of the few instances I can approve of using the phrase "hump day."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Pomona. I like the idea of using "sound part" for "syllable". Did you ever read that Andrew Clements book where everyone talks in three word sentences? That's what this reminds me of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the short words! I can tell while reading that there were some areas that you probably had to stop and think about a way to say what you wanted in on syllable, but overall I found it quite refreshing. While it can sound quite clunky sometimes, I didn't mind it because it didn't sound pompous. It was as if you really wanted me to understand everything you wrote, and my tired brain and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Khan School" was my favorite part of this blog post haha, it's so hard to use monosyllabic words when we live in a world that uses run-on sentences more often than not. You did a really nice job working through what you were trying to say - when we did the monosyllabic writing prompt for class that one day, I struggled talking about how I felt in such restrictions but you did awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Chocolate

I haven’t had chocolate in a couple weeks. I’m waiting until after Sectionals (this Saturday, you should come) to indulge myself in a giant bar of 70% Dark. So to appease the part of me that yearns for the bitter, sweet creaminess of a delicious bar of chocolate, the clean snap of the first corner breaking and spreading its flavor across my palette, and the perfect consistency of that special type of chocolate that melts in your mouth but not your hands… got a little carried away there. As I was saying, to appease that part of me, I’m going to write about chocolate a little. And if by the end, I find that I crave it more rather than less, well, future self, I told you so.  I’m going to focus on the chemistry. Chocolate, specifically cocoa butter, is actually a crystalline substance – a very soft one, but still a crystal. And just like some elements can crystallize in many different ways (diamond and graphite are both carbon), chocolate can crystallize in six. Each of these...

I Am Bad at Time Management

My blog’s subtitle, for now, is “Let’s watch a trainwreck!” You might call me a pessimist. I prefer “realist without a planner”. I prefer “realist without a planner” because I have been semi-floundering for three years and three weeks at Uni and I’m not doing anything different so far to change my habits. A lot of people carry paper calendars; I don’t. I “keep track” of assignments in my head. Then I worry that I missed something and chuck seven notebooks, six binders, and four course packets into my bag at the end of the day. I’ll probably have back problems by age 20. In the same vein, a lot of people use their free periods for work and then go to bed early at night. I use my free periods to draw useless pixel art and then stay up until 11 doing calc homework. I have the audacity the next morning to wonder why on earth I am tired. So far, I’ve been managing pretty well with my lack of organization. I’ve gotten enough sleep to sustain myself and concentrate. I haven’t yet l...