Skip to main content

Possibly the Most Awkward Thing

You know the dreams where you’ve lost something essential and you wake up in a cold sweat? How about the ones where you are in a public place and you suddenly realize you are vastly underdressed? Maybe you’ve had a nightmare that takes place in school or involves interaction with fellow students or current teachers. And if you dream at all, you’ve definitely woken up at some point and realized how truly illogical “dream logic can be.

With that in mind, the following is a completely real, non-dream-created series of events.
On Saturday, the swim team held Captain’s Day, a fun event (can’t spoil the surprise for future freshmen!) that begins at 5:00 outside of Uni and ends at 6:15-ish, place unknown. This blog post doesn’t actually talk about Captain’s Day. The post covers some events the day before.
On Friday, there was a U of I football game. The ARC (swim practice pool/big ole gym) is quite near Memorial Stadium. You would know this if you had a grasp of campus geography, unlike me. The previous day, the swim team’s coach and captains had warned us that we should plan pickup from practice – the street outside of the ARC is so crazy there are literal policemen there. My mom thought I should make sure to charge my phone. But on Thursday night, because I forgot and then I was tired and really didn’t want to get out of bed, I didn’t charge my phone. This was a bad choice. Charging my phone would have completely averted the series of events I am about to describe.

But lying in bed at 11:30 PM, I was oblivious to my fate. No problem, I thought. I’ll charge it at school, I thought.

I woke up and my phone was completely dead, to the point where it was turned off and the screen backlight wouldn’t even try to start up. Come on, screen. Gotta give a HUNDRED AND TEN PERCENT! My phone flashed its little light three times, which I think is Morse code for “haha nope”. (Ok guys the period isn’t in the quotes because it’s not part of the imaginary utterance of my phone. I read about this on Stack Exchange and some British dude called American quotes “illogical quoting”. [yes, I did it again.]) 

During Uni Period and seventh hour I charged my phone on a ledge by the windowsill in 218. Then I forgot about its existence and left for an 8th hour study hall. Remarkably, I took care of all of my necessary 8th hour procrastination on my computer! Not once did I attempt to find my phone. The bell rang and I got on the bus to go to the ARC. At the ARC, in the pool room, I looked in my backpack and couldn’t find my phone. So I desperately used the buggy google version of Find My iPhone… and it didn’t work, because I never actually turned my phone on. I was sure that my phone was at Uni, even though the last ping in the History was from noon-ish. To arrange transportation I emailed my mom. She (thankfully) replied with a street corner where she’d pick me up.

Then Raneem asked for a ride to Uni after practice. She was going to a sophomore movie night thing. I assented, of course. Who makes a teammate walk two miles after dark during a football game? 

So when practice got out I realized it would be a little bit of a hike to get to 1st and Stadium, but I also didn’t want to change. The obvious solution was to toss on my wool socks and shoes, but not put on pants or a shirt. I was walking around campus trying to find my mom in a one-piece swimsuit, a towel, two backpacks, a lunch bag, a water bottle, (patterned) socks, and solid shoes. She wasn’t at 1st and Stadium where she said she’d be because there was a literal roadblock. So I had to ask some random frat dudes who volunteered to direct traffic where the intersection actually was. When I still couldn’t find my mom I borrowed Raneem’s phone (thank god I was with someone, that would have been horrible if I was alone) and called her. My mom was a block away at 2nd and Gregory. 

At long last I found my mother. Raneem and I piled into the car and took off for Uni. But my troubles weren’t over! In fact, they were about to begin. While we were driving my mom asked why my phone was dead, and I had to tell her that it was fully charged, but I had left it in school. By the time we got to Uni, my mom had unfortunately realized that Captain’s day was on Saturday. We… didn’t really know when it would end, and she was a little panicked about that. So sending me into the abyss of captain’s day without so much as a PHONE? UNACCEPTABLE!

There was only one solution.



After prodding from my mother, I finally got out and went to the door (with wet, chlorinated hair, wearing a swimsuit, a towel, wool socks, and lace-up shoes). Maybe the school would be closed! But no. A student (I really don’t know who) ushered Raneem in and glanced confusedly at me. He opened the door tentatively and I stepped inside, hoping my post-practice hair could maybe disguise my identity. My luck was much, much worse than that. After walking a couple times past the Room Full of Sophomores I found a teacher willing to let me into 218, albeit grudgingly. That teacher was Mr. Lauthen. Anyone in Latin (really anyone who has interacted with him) knows the sort of befuddled expression he gets when he doesn't know what a question is asking. That was his expression the entire time. Most awkward thing EVER. I profusely apologized, and instead of saying “It’s fine” he kind of shrugged like “yeah this is a pain in the ass”. 

Fortunately, my phone was indeed in 218! I got it and I hightailed it out of Uni and out of the nightmarish situation into which I had blundered.

Comments

  1. That does sort of sound like an awkward and slightly bad dream, particularly your outfit.

    In terms of quotation marks and punctuation, I don't make the rules, I just promote and slavishly follow them because I am, after all, an (American) English teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure if this were a dream, you would have been quite pleased. Reading this tale, I am constantly reminded of the expressions, "stiff upper lip" and "with dignity", neither of which, as I'm sure you can attest to, actually apply to any real-world situation. What you just described is exactly the reason I have a mild panic attack every time I feel like the pocket I keep my phone in is less stuffed than it should be. Well, maybe I wouldn't have the same problems with the swimsuit, hair, towel, and shoes, but living those crazy dreams is not something anyone wants to experience. Keep a stiff upper lip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pomona, your intellect is almost as astounding as your capability to get into hilarious situations. Hilarious for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's astounding how so many bad things can happen in such quick succession to the same person. At least you got a story out of it, so that's worth something (at least to everyone else.) Your painful experience made for a good blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On Chocolate

I haven’t had chocolate in a couple weeks. I’m waiting until after Sectionals (this Saturday, you should come) to indulge myself in a giant bar of 70% Dark. So to appease the part of me that yearns for the bitter, sweet creaminess of a delicious bar of chocolate, the clean snap of the first corner breaking and spreading its flavor across my palette, and the perfect consistency of that special type of chocolate that melts in your mouth but not your hands… got a little carried away there. As I was saying, to appease that part of me, I’m going to write about chocolate a little. And if by the end, I find that I crave it more rather than less, well, future self, I told you so.  I’m going to focus on the chemistry. Chocolate, specifically cocoa butter, is actually a crystalline substance – a very soft one, but still a crystal. And just like some elements can crystallize in many different ways (diamond and graphite are both carbon), chocolate can crystallize in six. Each of these...

I Am Bad at Time Management

My blog’s subtitle, for now, is “Let’s watch a trainwreck!” You might call me a pessimist. I prefer “realist without a planner”. I prefer “realist without a planner” because I have been semi-floundering for three years and three weeks at Uni and I’m not doing anything different so far to change my habits. A lot of people carry paper calendars; I don’t. I “keep track” of assignments in my head. Then I worry that I missed something and chuck seven notebooks, six binders, and four course packets into my bag at the end of the day. I’ll probably have back problems by age 20. In the same vein, a lot of people use their free periods for work and then go to bed early at night. I use my free periods to draw useless pixel art and then stay up until 11 doing calc homework. I have the audacity the next morning to wonder why on earth I am tired. So far, I’ve been managing pretty well with my lack of organization. I’ve gotten enough sleep to sustain myself and concentrate. I haven’t yet l...

some words that are short

First day of the week: the one on which we did not have to go to school. I like long words, but I am much more fond of small words. I use lots of long words when I talk. So to make a post and use naught but small words is a task that daunts me. I will try to use no words with more than one sound per word in this whole blog post. My post will be nice and short; all the words are short, and each word is hard to come up with. As I start to write this post, I have a few days to work. I thank the stars for my lack of a time crunch at this point in the week, but I will soon find that I have put off all my work for the next few days. By hump day my stress will be a five out of five. For now, I have the time and the sloth to sleep in, take naps, watch a show which I now will call Last Week This Night and not do work. I love the days at the end of the week – they’re the best thing, if you ask me! Still the same day: I get more stressed out. Cause of stress: test, essay, lots o...